Detroit Public Schools Transportation Policy
Detroit Public Schools (DPS) has established these transportation guidelines to meet the districts goals in providing educational services to our students. In addition, the policy will assist the Office of Student Transportation in providing Safe, Efficient and On Time transportation to students who attend Detroit Public Schools.
Transportation services will be provided using the following guidelines:
- Special education students based upon their Individualized Education Plan. (IEP).
- Vocational education students will have transportation provided between their high school and respective vocational technical educational center.
- Regular Education students in grades K-8 that live more than ¾ miles from their neighborhood school qualify for corner stop service.
- All K-8 students for the 2007-2008 school year only who were assigned to a new school due to their school being closed due to the realignment process will be eligible for corner stop transportation.
- Regular Education students in grades 9-12 are provided bus passes but, must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for a free or reduced bus pass:
- Student must attend their neighborhood school.
- Student must receive meal free or reduce benefits.
- Student must be attending neighborhood school which is more than 1½ mile(s) from residence.
For the 2007-2008 school year only students who are attending a High school being closed due to the realignment will be eligible for free bus pass.
- Students who are administratively transferred and live at least 1-1/2 miles from the receiving school.
- Student identified by the Superintendent or designee to attend a school other than their neighborhood school and meet all of the following conditions:
- The neighborhood school is overcrowding as determined by the Superintendent or designee.
- The school is at least 1-½ miles from their home.
Transportation services will not be provided for:
Regular education students who attend citywide schools, Schools of Choice or Academies.
Questions or concerns can be directed to the Office of Student Transportation at 313-945-8600.