The Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix, PNC Bank, Detroit Public Schools and the Detroit Public Schools Foundation hosted a special panel discussion on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 on the impact of the PNC Fifth Gear and Grow Up Great programs and opportunities for students in racing.
The panel discussion was held in the Pit Lane of the Raceway at Belle Isle Park.
The event also included a demonstration of the activities DPS students will participate in at the Grand Prix Education Day on Thursday, May 30.
Speakers for the panel discussion included:
- Bud Denker, Chairman, Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix
- Boyd Pethel, Senior Vice President of Commercial Banking, PNC Bank
- Ursula Kelley-Wash, PNC Grow Up Great Supervisor, Detroit Public Schools
- Alycia Meriweather, Executive Director of the Office of Science, Detroit Public Schools
- Jessica Gamarra, Director of Sales and Marketing, Ilmor Engineering
- Chris Watson, Engineer, Pratt & Miller Engineering
- Andy Pilgrim, Cadillac Racing Pirelli World Challenge Series Driver
- Brian Olatunji, Detroit race car driver and engineer, DPS alumnus
- Harold Martin, Local race car driver, team owner and former engineer
Fifth-grade students from Thirkell Elementary School and Pre-K students from Burton International Academy also attended the event.
The Grand Prix IndyCar and Andy Pilgrim’s Cadillac CTS-V race car were also on display.