Exceptional Student Education Questions

Are transportation services available for students with disabilities? What are the pick-
up and drop-off locations?

Transportation for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is available through the Exceptional Student Education (ESE) department is based on need related to the student’s disability as outlined in the IEP. If you have questions regarding transportation, please contact your exceptional student education teacher or building principal. Should you require additional assistance, please contact your specific Cohort Supervisor as outlined on the website. For information on transportation, please contact the office of Exceptional Student Education at (313) 873-7481.

My child has an Individual Education Plan (IEP), but there are no programs and services in line with the plan?

The first line of communication is always your case manager. If you require additional support, please reach out to your building principal.

If you require an additional layer of support, please contact the Lohren Nzoma, Senior
Executive Director for Exceptional Student Education at (313) 873-7481.

How is the Deaf and Hard of Hearing program serviced? What is the staffing model, curriculum and support system in this program?

Please contact Ms. Celeste Johnson (celeste.johnson@detroitk12.org), DHH Supervisor. Should you require an additional Layer of support, please reach Tyra Butler (tyra.butler@detroitk12.org), the Cohort 2 Supervisor/ Liaison. For information, beyond the Cohort Supervisor, please contact Lohren Nzoma, Senior Executive Director of Exceptional Student Education at (313) 873-7481.

Who do I contact if my child has an IEP but has not been enrolled in school?

For the beginning of the 2018-2019 academic year, please begin with your neighborhood school for all students eligible with a specific learning disability or speech and language impairment as a primary disability. If your child is eligible under another area for an Individualized Education Plan, please call Ms. Debbie Ake at Fredrick Douglass Academy, South Wing, Rm 168. (3001 W. Warren, Detroit, MI 48202) Phone: (313) 748-6499.

Where can I access resources for my special needs students?

Please contact school leadership.

DPSCD Exceptional Student Education website https://dpscd.detroitk12.org/admin/academic_affairs/special_education/

Michigan Department of Education -Office of Special Education https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-6598—,00.html

Michigan Alliance for Families http://www.michiganallianceforfamilies.org/

I am having issues with the placement process. How do I provide feedback on my concerns?

Please address concerns to Lohren Nzoma, Senior Executive Director at (313) 873-7481.

How often are speech services available?

Speech services occur as a part of a student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Your child’s IEP will detail the amount of time provided under the Programs and Services section. Please begin with your student’s ESE teacher.

What supports are in place for students with behavioral issues?

Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) operates under the Positive Behavior Intervention System (PBIS) at all grade levels across the District and within the school building. Within the classroom you should see a layer of Tiered Interventions. An additional layer of support is available on an individualized basis in accordance with the needs outlined by the IEP team. This may include services from the ESE School Social Worker, Behavior Specialist and other support staff. Please consult with your ESE teacher, principal and or ESE Cohort Supervisor.

Cohort First


Last name Phone Number Email Address
2 Tyra Butler (313) 414-4299 tyra.butler@detroitk12.org
1 Richard Gregory (313) 263-2895 richard.gregory@detroitk12.org
3 Roslyn Hester (313) 263-2878 roslyn.hester@detroitk12.org
5 Marlene Hunter-


(313) 263-2890 marlene.hunter-armstrong@detroitk12.org
4 Laronda Thomas (313) 263-2808 Laronda.thomas@detroitk12.org

How often are ancillary services provided? (Social work, speech, physical therapy)

This is individualized and based upon student need as outlined in the Individualized
Education Plan (IEP).

How can the school best support my child according to their IEP?

The school will provide programs and services as identified in your child’s IEP and ensure they are made available to the child in accordance with the IEP. This includes all supplementary aids and services and program modifications and accommodations that the IEP team identified as necessary. In addition, general education teachers and related services providers are informed of specific accommodations, modifications, and supports to be provided to the child and informed of their specific responsibilities.

What is the teacher-to-student ratio for large classrooms with both general and exceptional need students?

The ratio for teacher-to-student is 27:2 in most classrooms. Teachers function as a team to ensure instruction is delivered using a variety of modalities. Unless a student receives Exceptional Student Education services within a self-contained program, the above ration applies to ALL Students. If a student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) requires a different option, the District is obligated to follow the details of the IEP.

It has been over 30 days since my child’s last IEP meeting, who do I contact to find out
the status?

IEP teams are required by law to convene on an annual basis (once per year). However, should any IEP team member believe there is a reason to meet, they may call another IEP team meeting at any time. Please contact your student’s ESE teacher or building